Sunday, October 21, 2012

Chocolate Wedding Cake

When my Daughter and new Son-in-Law decided they wanted an all chocolate cake, I told them I would try making it. They said if I couldn't, not to worry about it, they would settle for a cake made out of Ho Ho's and Twinkies but I really wanted them to have the cake they wanted and thought making a cake out of snack cakes was a kind of silly idea.
--> I learned all I could about about stacking tiered cakes, trimming the cakes and using a crumb coat, smoothing out the frosting, what to use for the chocolate drizzled part, how to make a glaze. This is a picture of the top two layers in the refrigerator.

 If I ever make a cake like this again, I'll do the base frosting first, put the layers together and then do the decorating, bottom to top.

 I did one layer at a time, top to bottom. I had to drive 30 miles to deliver it, up and down hills, down a bad patch of highway and I was scared driving, thinking it would fall all over the place, but I got it there in one piece. I added the strawberries once I got there.

My daughter & son-in-law  loved the cake even though I made the bottom layer marble. The top two layers were chocolate. (I used the Marble Cake Recipe below for the chocolate layers of the cake.)

This is the recipe I used for the cake, out of an old Betty Crocker Cookbook that was passed down to me from my Mom. (old enough that there is no publishing date inside that I can find)

One-Egg Cake

2 Cups Flour
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
2 1/3 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 Cup Soft Shortening (I used unsalted butter instead)
1 Cup Milk (I used half & half instead)
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Egg (1/4 Cup)

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour two layer pans, 8x1 1/2" or a square pan 9x9x1 3/4". Measure flour by dip-level-pour method of by sifting. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add shortening, 2/3 of milk and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes, medium speed with mixer or  300 vigorous strokes by hand. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl constantly. Add rest of milk and egg.Beat 2 more minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Pour into pan(s). Bake layers about 30 minutes. cool. Frost with your favorite icing.

Marble One-Egg Cake

 Make One-Egg Cake (above) - except pour half of the batter into another bowl and add a mixture of 1square unsweetened chocolate (1 oz.), melted, 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda and 2 tsp. Water. Beat 1/2 minute. Spoon chocolate and white batters alternately into prepared pan or pans. Run knife through to give marbled effect.

Cup a Dee Cakes Kid's Buttercream Recipe - This recipe makes more than enough frosting to cover all three layers of this 3 tier cake!

2 lbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
16 Cups powdered sugar (4 lbs)
1 Tblsp plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup heavy cream OR light corn syrup (not nearly as good, but works)
Chocolate:  4-6 oz melted chocolate per lb of icing (will be a light brown).

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add all butter, salt and vanilla to 5 Quart bowl and blend.  Scrape down bowl.  Add ½ of the powdered sugar in stages (put a clean dish towel over the mixer and bowl to keep sugar dust down).  Add all of the whipping cream and blend.  Scrape down bowl.  Add the rest of the powdered sugar in stages until it is blended in.  Scrape down bowl.  Now whip the fool out of it on super high for about 2-4 minutes depending on the strength of your mixer.  The icing will go much lighter in color, fluffier and a good spreading consistency.  You should notice the icing begin to increase in volume (it will fill the mixer bowl).

Thanks to Jennifer from Cup a Dee Cakes for the recipe I found on this page: http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-do-i-get-my-cakes-smooth.html

Chocolate Glaze

Ingredients

1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon water
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

In medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in water and vanilla: mix well.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynda! I'm so glad to hear that my recipe worked well for you! I see you haven't blogged in a while, I hope you are still baking!

    ReplyDelete